AFC Bournemouth Forum - Afobe to Wolves
UK time is: 19:46:21

Choose your club

Other Sites

Network Navigation

Vital Partners

'If It's Football, It is Vital'

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register | forgotten password )AFCB Vital on FacebookAFCB Vital on Twitter

Afobe to Wolves
Alert Team: Alert Team

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 4 [20 messages per page]
Previous thread :: Next thread
   AFCB Vital: Forums » UpTheCherries Forum 

Posted 2/2/2018 08:45
#1039490 - in reply to #1039489
Subject: Re: Afobe to Wolves

UTC Legend

In my opinion, Afobe was just a bigger version of Rantie.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2/2/2018 09:07
#1039494 - in reply to #1039147

UTC Legend

When he first signed, I thought he had a lot of raw potential and with Eddie's coaching would turn out to be a fantastic player. Unfortunately he never progressed but instead got stuck in a negative cycle, loss of form and self confidence. This season he's looked totally out of sorts.

As a person he appears to be a genuinely nice guy and wants to please people but it hasn't worked for him here (so far ). So I say, good luck to you, Benik. Hope it all goes well for you in the future, were ever that takes you : )

Posted 2/2/2018 11:06
#1039517 - in reply to #1039147

UTC Legend

Mmmmm... bit of revisionism going on here in my opinion.

If What I’ve heard is true, and Perret clearly has heard the same, he had very little desire to stay or inclination to put any effort in. People thinking he worked hard for the cause clearly didn’t see this seasons performances.

A poor signing that people only justify by the fact we stayed up twice. Glad to be shot of him. So is Eddie by the lack of good wishes which he always does. So is Benik by his disrespectful instagram feed. Interesting he feels like he’s returned home. Home being the place he went on strike to get a move to us.

I often think some players would have to sleep with people’s wives on here before they got jip, and even then people would probably be saying ‘to give credit to the lad he has more stamina than me’.

Posted 2/2/2018 11:12
#1039518 - in reply to #1039147

Star Player

I don't think we ever really knew how to play Benik. He is good in quite a few areas but doesn't really excel at anything and that's what held him back at PL level.

I guess he was signed to be another option for Callum while he was out injured. He just never had the explosive pace and his finishing wasn't good enough to be a pure poacher. We tried him in a deeper role but he lacked the technical attributes to pull it off effectively. He's also played as a bruiser as a foil for King, but was never really going to be able to dominate strong PL centre backs in the air.

He's been a bit unfortunate here. Its not really his fault Eddie didn't know how to fit him in. Some of the "lazy" jibes from the fans were unfair too - the reason he wasn't getting into the box was not down to laziness, Eddie had asked him to pay outside of the box. Ultimately his goals in the first season and partnership with King last season played a big part in getting us to where we are now. He didn't set the world on fire, but not a complete failure for us either.

Posted 2/2/2018 11:40
#1039523 - in reply to #1039147

Fans' Favourite

He might be a nice enough guy, I don't know. From what I saw, particularly in his first 6-12 months, he was a player who would come on as a substitute and still look lethargic, tired and unwilling to do any running.

Really thought he'd work out after that sweeping ball in from Charlie and great finish by Benik. Unfortunately we've persisted with fannying around in the corners and trying to pass a bit too much and that didn't play to his strengths. Would love to see more of those early balls into the box. Defoe would definitely benefit, as would Callum.

Posted 2/2/2018 12:02
#1039527 - in reply to #1039147

UTC Legend

...often I have thought we buy strikers like Rantie, Defoe, and Afobe and don't really have the style of play to get the best out of them?

Callum and Josh work because they run the channels and don't always need the feeder ball...

interesting that two of our goals v Chelsea were results of good close passing, Ibe and Stanislas gave us that slightly different dimension, which hopefully will also see Defoe prospering in the future for us?

I feel sure that Rantie given better support would have been more effective at the time and Afobe was often trying to be in the channels like |Wilson and King but just didn't posses the control to play like that. I was often upset that he never had much of a physical presence given his build and often reminded me of Grabban at his worst...

Posted 2/2/2018 12:12
#1039532 - in reply to #1039147

Star Player

I think you are right Garbo. In the past we've had an almost scatter gun like approach to signing strikers and wingers. Sign enough of them and hope we find a combination that clicks. If you look at the balance of our squad, we always seem to carry a lot more forwards than other PL sides - often at the expensive of strengthening defence and midfield.

I'm hoping with the change to a front 3 in recent weeks, we'll see the end of this experiment of asking strikers to play as a no. 10 and putting too much defensive responsibility on the wide players restricting their attacking flair.

Posted 2/2/2018 12:21
#1039534 - in reply to #1039488

kirsikka - 2/2/2018 08:29

DJ - 2/2/2018 06:06

Perrett on Twitter...

This whole Benik Afobe saga has finally made me realise how grubby the game is, if I didn't already know. #afcb #wwfc

https://twitter.com/nperrettecho/status/959201021535883264?ref_src=t...

What's he trying to imply?

I would hazard a guess that Benik has forced the situation.

Judging by some tweets from the journos in the midlands the deal went from being a £5million loan fee and a permanent deal in the summer to a £1million loan fee with only an option in the summer.

It does seem Wolves are at least paying his wages.

Posted 2/2/2018 12:30
#1039536 - in reply to #1039147

UTC Legend

Benik always seemed to play on his heels. Rarely anticipated a move or a pass. His control is poor, particular his first touch. Seemed unaware of the pattern of play around him. Hope he does brilliantly at wolves. Glad he has gone.

Posted 2/2/2018 12:45
#1039539 - in reply to #1039147

UTC Legend

Benik is a player that wants diagonal balls played into the box in front of him. Look at the goals he scored in his first season with us. He is not a target man and he is not a Wilson/King type runner.
For a short period after he signed we played the way he wanted it and he scored crucial goals that played a massive part in us staying up in our first season. For that alone he was worth the transfer fee and I am grateful for it.
As to his current attitude I don't know but its clearly a move that suits both parties.

Posted 2/2/2018 12:48
#1039540 - in reply to #1039147

New Signing

I honestly think some people on here need to get real. Recruitment seems so easy to some, when it's bloody hard.

Almost every team in this league are desperate to sign strikers. Many that do get brought in are often shipped out again very soon. Look at Chelsea for god sake. All of a sudden their fans are saying Morata is crap, blah, blah, blah. Arsenal fans now think Lacazzette is pants.

Watford fans are now moaning about Richarlson, some on here held him up as an example of who we should get.

All of the promoted teams have been rushing out trying to buy strikers. We did the same in our first season buying Afobe in the Jan window, the same with Grabban. They did a job now were moving on and so are they. Afobe was dirt cheap and provided some goals. Now his form has dipped were moving him on, thats what happens.

Posted 2/2/2018 13:07
#1039546 - in reply to #1039517

UTC Legend

Neil Dawson - 2/2/2018 11:06

Mmmmm... bit of revisionism going on here in my opinion.

If What I’ve heard is true, and Perret clearly has heard the same, he had very little desire to stay or inclination to put any effort in. People thinking he worked hard for the cause clearly didn’t see this seasons performances.

A poor signing that people only justify by the fact we stayed up twice. Glad to be shot of him. So is Eddie by the lack of good wishes which he always does. So is Benik by his disrespectful instagram feed. Interesting he feels like he’s returned home. Home being the place he went on strike to get a move to us.

I often think some players would have to sleep with people’s wives on here before they got jip, and even then people would probably be saying ‘to give credit to the lad he has more stamina than me’.

More fcukin revisionism.

FACT Is Afobe is a big awkward kind of package.

Last season his partnership with King worked well against the lesser clubs in the division. Got us a fair few points, but his role was mostly as an awkward distraction, did the job.

This season we’ve got in Defoe (frankly not a good move imho) and Wilson is back. King struggles to get in the team, let alone a King/Afobe partnership.

He hasn’t trained on (a pity but not unexpected), is not motivated - so ship him out, were playing 3-5-2-1 now so the 4-4-2 he’s suited to makes him even more surplus to requirements. Wave goodbye and thank him for what he did last season.

To mention him in the same sentence as the complete waste of oxygen that was Rantie is ridiculous.

PS Grabban is so much an irrelevance to anything AFCB these days you might as well still counter on about Demari Grey.

Posted 2/2/2018 13:16
#1039555 - in reply to #1039540

Fans' Favourite

Norton Cherry - 2/2/2018 12:48

I honestly think some people on here need to get real. Recruitment seems so easy to some, when it's bloody hard.

Almost every team in this league are desperate to sign strikers. Many that do get brought in are often shipped out again very soon. Look at Chelsea for god sake. All of a sudden their fans are saying Morata is crap, blah, blah, blah. Arsenal fans now think Lacazzette is pants.

Watford fans are now moaning about Richarlson, some on here held him up as an example of who we should get.

All of the promoted teams have been rushing out trying to buy strikers. We did the same in our first season buying Afobe in the Jan window, the same with Grabban. They did a job now were moving on and so are they. Afobe was dirt cheap and provided some goals. Now his form has dipped were moving him on, thats what happens.

Spot on. We signed Afobe because we needed a short term fix due to our injury crisis. He did exactly what we needed from him. Now he's being moved on and he's no big loss. That does not mean he was a poor signing.

Posted 2/2/2018 13:28
#1039557 - in reply to #1039147

Star Player

Don't think I can recall anyone ever actually saying recruitment is easy on here. Everyone knows there are risks associated with any signing.

What I think is fair to say is that the more professional, diverse and expansive your recruitment network is, the more players a club will have on its radar and the more chance you have of mitigating recruitment risks.

Posted 2/2/2018 13:32
#1039559 - in reply to #1039147

Star Player

Bit disappointed with his parting comments considering he's still under contract here. He'll definitely be off in the summer.

Posted 2/2/2018 13:52
#1039562 - in reply to #1039559

Star Player

NWCherries98 - 2/2/2018 13:32

Bit disappointed with his parting comments considering he's still under contract here. He'll definitely be off in the summer.

Agreed. Burning bridges very publicly and - by implication - privately too. No way back with Eddie you'd think.

Posted 2/2/2018 14:07
#1039572 - in reply to #1039562

Star Player

In All Departments - 2/2/2018 13:52

NWCherries98 - 2/2/2018 13:32

Agreed. Burning bridges very publicly and - by implication - privately too. No way back with Eddie you'd think.

It's strange really; he seems to be a really nice guy, and intelligent too, he has the perfect temperament for an EH player, and always has time for the fans too. Yet that's two clubs in a row that he has left in somewhat fiery circumstances.

Posted 2/2/2018 14:08
#1039573 - in reply to #1039557

UTC Legend

Tinpot Club - 2/2/2018 13:28

Don't think I can recall anyone ever actually saying recruitment is easy on here. Everyone knows there are risks associated with any signing.

What I think is fair to say is that the more professional, diverse and expansive your recruitment network is, the more players a club will have on its radar and the more chance you have of mitigating recruitment risks.

Bob on

Posted 2/2/2018 14:09
#1039574 - in reply to #1039147

First Team

This is all too bad. I always liked Benik and really wanted him to do well.
To be fair, he had a knack for getting himself into fantastic scoring positions - usually within the first few minutes of coming on the pitch. Problem was, over the last couple seasons he almost never finished them.
I certainly wish him the best though - both for his own good, and the value of the transfer fee we'll get in July if he ends up leaving.

Posted 2/2/2018 14:21
#1039575 - in reply to #1039573

Fans' Favourite

Neil Dawson - 2/2/2018 14:08

Tinpot Club - 2/2/2018 13:28

Bob on :thumbsup:

Hopefully, if we ever manage to sort out our disastrous recruitment policy we'll have a team capable of tearing Chelsea a new one in their own back yard.

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 4 [20 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

AFCB Vital - The Latest News

resource/teams/bournemouth/1020_a.jpg

Francis: We need to come back with the right mindset

AFC Bournemouth captain Simon Francis believes the Cherries need to return from their Portuguese training camp with the right mindset....

Click here to read full article
resource/teams/bournemouth/1006_a.jpg

Jermain Defoe Closing In On A Return For AFC Bournemouth

Our weekly update looking at the injury table for AFC Bournemouth and also comparing with all our competitors in the Premier League. ...

resource/teams/bournemouth/1001_a.jpg

Ake: The only thing we can do is bounce back

AFC Bournemouth centre back Nathan Ake wants the Cherries to bounce back following the Cherries heavy defeat to Huddersfield Town....

resource/teams/bournemouth/1013_a.jpg

Lewis Cook: England boss watching us is a compliment

AFC Bournemouth midfielder Lewis Cook believes having England manager Gareth Southgate in the stands is a compliment to the entire squad....

resource/teams/bournemouth/505_a.jpg

Blake: AFCB intend to build new stadium within Kings Park

AFC Bournemouth chief executive Neill Blake has reiterated the Cherries desire to build a new stadium within Kings Park....

Breaking League News

Huddersfield : 17/02/2018 19:25:22
Unbelievably This Player Was Not MOTM
Chelsea : 17/02/2018 19:21:07
Positives All Round - Brighton v Coventry (17/2/18
Brighton : 17/02/2018 18:55:18
Brighton : 17/02/2018 17:11:28
WBA : 17/02/2018 17:03:02

Other Network News

Groves v Eubank Jnr – The Under-Card
Vital Boxing : 17/02/2018 11:49:18