Date:Tuesday February 19 2013
AFC Bournemouth defender Steve Cook and Brighton players Anton Rodgers, Lewis Dunk and George Barker will return to court in May for a retrial.
The jury in the first trial earlier this month were discharged after failing to reach a verdict.
Steve Cook, Anton Rodgers, Lewis Dunk and George Barker had been accused of sexual assault and voyeurism in regards to an alleged incident that happened in July 2011.
They had all pleaded not guilty, after being arrested last year.
Cook, Rodgers, Dunk, Barker along with Tommy Elphick and Ben Sampayo were all arrested in January 2012 on suspicion of sexually assaulting a woman at the Jury's Inn Hotel in Brighton in July 2011.
Steve Cook and Tommy Elphick went on to leave Brighton for AFC Bournemouth. Cook joined the Cherries in October that year, whilst Elphick made the move in October 2012.
All the men were originally released on bail until 21st March 2012, pending further inquiries by officers.
Cherries stand in captain Tommy Elphick was later eliminated from the investigation but on 21st March 2012, Cook along with the four remaining Brighton players were re-bailed until 16th May 2012 while investigations continued.
On 30th April 2012 Ben Sampayo was told no further action would be taken against him, however Cook, Rodgers, Dunk and Barker were charged and appeared at Brighton Magistrates' Court on 11th May 2012.
All four men indicated pleas of not guilty to both charges and all four were granted conditional bail to return to the same court on 6th July.
On that date, Cook and his former team mates were informed that they would return to Court on 3rd August 2012, where they were informed of when their trial would begin.
The trial began on 21st January 2013 at the Old Bailey and after 10 days the jury retired to make their verdict.
After initially being told by Judge Charles Wide to reach a unanimous verdict, the jury couldn't come to a decision initially and so were told that a majority verdict of 10-2 or 11-1 would be accepted if they could not reach a unanimous decision.
After over 24 hours of deliberations the jury reached a verdict and found Lewis Dunk not guilty on charges of voyeurism. But they were unable to reach a verdict on the other seven counts against the four players.
Prosecutor Richard Barton told Judge Wide that 'The present view' was that they would seek a retrial and that date has now been set for 6th May.
Don't forget to keep checking the RednBlack Shack for great online deals and help to raise money for the AFC Bournemouth Youth Team.
It's easy to join AFCB Vital
Date:Tuesday February 19 2013
Elphick: Not just about Grabban (Friday August 29 2014)
Ward out for 2 months following knee op (Friday August 29 2014)
Cherries travel to Norwich (Friday August 29 2014)
Cherries Away Days: Norwich (Thursday August 28 2014)
Tindall: We have a strong and flexible squad (Thursday August 28 2014)
Fraser called up to Scotland Under 21 squad (Thursday August 28 2014)
Howe: Would love to reach the fourth round (Thursday August 28 2014)
Cherries draw Cardiff (Wednesday August 27 2014)
Video: AFCB v Northampton (League Cup) (Wednesday August 27 2014)
Video: Blackburn v AFCB (Wednesday August 27 2014)
|Robinson Extends Portsmouth Stay
» Millwall : 29/08/2014 16:43:00
|Ten Point Target For Ollie
» Millwall : 29/08/2014 16:41:00
|Fenelon Leaves On Loan
» Brighton : 29/08/2014 16:34:00
|Jake Reeves Leaves By Mutual Consent
» Brentford : 29/08/2014 16:28:00
|RUFC - Gaffer Thought Millers Unlucky On Tuesday
» Rotherham : 29/08/2014 16:14:00